1. In the 1998 motion picture The Horse Whisperer (starring Robert Redford, Kristen Scott Thomas, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Neill and Dianne Wiest), what was the name of Grace MacLean’s injured horse?
2. What team hosted the Oakland Raiders on Thanksgiving Day 2009?
3. In what modern country did the ancient Trojan Horse appear? (Hint: Are you hungry yet?)
4. Which thoroughbred racehorse won the 2009 Kentucky Derby? (Hint: His name might make one want to dig deeper into the Thanksgiving turkey for a bit more stuffing.)
5. The first two giant Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade balloons appeared in 1927. Was one of these first giant Macy’s Thanksgiving Day balloons really a horse?
6. The zodiac sign that corresponds to the end of November (including the Thanksgiving holiday time) is Sagittarius. Sagittarius is pictured as a centaur with an archery bow. What is a centaur?
7. What old-time dance may have mimicked turkeys practicing an equine gait?
1. The horse’s name was Pilgrim in the film. Actually, he was a 1987 American Quarter Horse named Hightower.
2. The Dallas Cowboys hosted the Oakland Raiders on Thanksgiving 2009.
3. According to Classical literature (such as The Aeneid, by Virgil), the Trojan Horse appeared in Troy, which was located in what is now Turkey.
4. Mine That Bird won the 2009 Kentucky Derby, with jockey Calvin Borel aboard.
5. The first giant Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade balloons were Felix the Cat and a dragon.
6. Greek mythology portrayed centaurs as hybrid creatures (part horse and part human).
7. The turkey trot is a ragtime dance, which probably originated in the early 1900s.